Saturday, September 15, 2012

CaTAPstrophy



photo from http://m.inmagine.com/image-rbvs0190136-Overweight-man-in-ballerina-tutu-smiling-and-dancing.html

Friday was supposed to be all about discovering what you personally find fun and going for it. Many times, we do things that are supposed to be "fun", only to realize that it's not really our cup of tea. I also don't like tea. For example, as an educated lady, former flutist, debutante, and supporter of the arts, it would stand to reason that I would enjoy lady-dates to the orchestra or to the museum of art. But I don't. I find both of those things terribly, terribly dull. It's not that I don't appreciate them. I recognize both art forms as incredible and important. That doesn't stop be from glancing at my watch (cell phone, no one wears watches anymore) every two minutes, praying that the torture will end.

This is why I decided to take a tap dance class yesterday. THAT is my idea of fun. Now, I haven't tapped since college and was none to good at it then. Still, the class was "open-level," which meant that even less capable students, such as myself, could attend. What I learned was that just because I COULD attend, doesn't mean I should attend. It went a little something like this.

Instructor: "Let's start by practing some shuffles."

Awesome. Totally nailed it. Maybe this won't be so bad.

Instructor: "And now some paddles."

Ok. Yeah, I remember what those are. Ok, I got this.

Instructor: "Now for the combination. Stomp. Toe...Toe Toe. FlapheelheelheelheelheelStepballchangestepballchangetoeheeltoeheeltoeheel"

Oh...ok...um, how many heels was that--

Instructor: "Now for the Cincinatti"

Could we maybe start with a less prestigious city? Columbus? Or Akron, perhaps?

Instructor: "Now, backspankheelheelshuffleheelheeltoeheeltoeheeltoheelstomp"

Insert a toy monkey banging cymbals together where my brain should be

The thing about dancers is that they will never laugh at you. The nice ones will pity you, and the not-so-nice ones won't make eye contact with you. So, instead of exploring new, fun things, today's lesson is to laugh at yourself. And loudly. Because sometimes, no one else will.

clean it up :/
do it right :(
let it go :(

"I would imagine that if you could understand Morse code, a tap dancer would drive you crazy." ~Mitch Hedberg. http://www.brainyquote.com

No comments:

Post a Comment