Wednesday, September 26, 2012

The song is not called "Love in a Broken Down Escalator"

When I finish up my degree, I'm going to find a special type of hypnosis that helps me to remember Sign Language, but completely erases the trauma I experience as a result of community college. Where else would you hear that a student needs to take a semester off because she was head-butted? Where else would you see an afro-spray line on the classroom wall marking past students' heights? Where else would their be more writing on the desks in profanity, than on the blackboard?

In an effort to "move more", I chose to make a resolution: No using the elevator at work. This may sound like a no-brainer, but I work in what is literally called "The Tower". I go from the fourth floor to the first floor and in between about ten times each day. Still doesn't sound like a big deal? Well, I congratulate you on being less lazy than I am. It's a harder habit to break than I thought, especially towards the end of the day, when I'm so tired I want someone to wheel me out of the building on a dolly. In fact, several times, I walked into the elevator, not paying attention, and then sighed as I stomped back towards the staircase. Still, I made it through one full day. It wasn't so bad, though I don't think I necessarily feel like I have more energy. Maybe it takes some getting used to. Add the run I had this morning, and the fact that I'm too broke to buy a subway token and thus will be walking EVERYWHERE until tomorrow, and I'd say I sufficiently fulfilled the "Move more" requirement.

The problem with a Happiness Project, is that no one else is doing it with you. You can be so proud that you've tackled nagging tasks like writing emails or returning gifts or hemming skirts (Damn, I still have to hem that skirt tonight..), but that doesn't mean the universe is gonna give you a cosmic pat on the back. More often than not, the person will not reply to your email, the store will be closed, and the hem will fall out the next day. It takes A LOT of energy to be vigilant in your attitude-- to smile and say that it's all going to be fine, and not fall to your knees yelling "KAHN!"

Clean it up :(
Do it right :(
Let it go :(
Move more :)
Eat better :)
Act energetic :(

"'Not knowing is part of the fun.' Was that the motto of your community college?"~Sheldon on The Big Bang Theory

photo by http://www.rebeccahjamison.com/2011/05/sleep-best-mothers-day-gift.html

No comments:

Post a Comment