Monday, September 24, 2012

What would Mr. Feeny do?



You know you are broke when you are planning to save money by wrapping a gift in magazine pages, and then you realize you can't afford to by a magazine.

In The Happiness Project, Rubin discusses the important of pursuing your passion. I see a lot of people struggle with finding their passion. Many often work on something they feel they should be passionate about. They should listen to more NPR, read more biographies, or play online poker. Whether it's what their friends do or what society thinks they should do, they pick something, that in the end doesn't bring them happiness. To find and pursue your passion, you must be truly honest with yourself as to what you like.

For example, for a while, I made a rule to turn off the TV during breakfast. I thought it would help me appreciate the quiet and my mixture of slow-cook oatmeal and peanut butter (Remember what I said about the addiction? I wasn't kidding). The truth is, my favorite part of the morning is having Boy Meets World on in the background. I mean, if you need a small jolt of happiness, I highly recommend watching the episode where Tapanga takes the bus from Pittsburgh to see Cory in Philadelphia. Or the one where Eric stalks Tapanga the entire episode and ends up in the couch cushions. Or the one where Sean joins the mob to make money for Christmas presents. Ok, even I know that one is a little far-fetched, but still, it is the perfect way to start my day.

Rubin says that to find your passions, you should look at what you liked when you were 10 years old, because you probably still like them now. The problem is, that people are not willing to admit to liking the same thing they liked when they were 10. Those novels I wrote began to look silly, and I hid the cartoons I used to draw under piles of homework, but why? I love to write, and I love to draw, but because I'm not the best at it I hid my passions away or dismiss them.

This week, I plan to start writing a new children's show I've been thinking of, sing show-tunes at the top of my lungs, and even draw a picture or two. Because one of my "truths of adulthood" as Rubin calls them, is "No one is thinking about you as much as you think they're thinking about you." So, let it go! And watch Boy Meets World. You can learn a lot from Boy Meets World.

Clean it up :/
Do it right :(
Let it go :)

"I'm a damsel, but not the distressed kind, one who's totally calm and in complete control of her own destiny."-Topanga. Boy Meets World

photo by http://boymeetsworld.wikia.com/wiki/William_Daniels

No comments:

Post a Comment