Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Papercuts on your tongue or Why I hate Wednesday



Some days you just wake up feeling less than glad. It's hard to look at the shampoo that exploded in your back-pack and think "I'm glad that it's not a jar of tomato sauce" or to forget your dinner at home and think "I'm glad I get to eat this low-carb cardboard proetin bar." I call those days Wednesdays, because for me, they are the WORST.

In my quest to keep things simple this month, I have really strived to "let things go." I've stopped checking audition pages for shows that I could never possibly juggle with my schedule, and I've stopped trying to squeeze in every little party or social event that pops up. It's not easy, because like everyone else, I like to believe I can do it all. What? You mean I'm NOT like Hermione in Harry Potter with her little hour glass that lets her be everywhere at once? Oh, don't worry friends. There are plenty more HP references where that came from.

People often think that the more choices there are, the better. I call this the breakfast cereal policy. Why do we need an entire aisle in our grocery store dedicated to cereal? Don't get me wrong, I love cereal so much that I can't keep in the house or I would eat it for three meals a day. But why do we need 20 different types of Cheerios? Studies show that having too many choices actually makes people more anxious and frustrated than having just a few choices. The reason it is often difficult to make a choice is that you know that while you are gaining one thing, you are also leaving other things behind. If you pick on color crayon out of a box, you are letting go of all your other options. That's why it's easier to pick a color out of a box of 10, rather than a box of 52. Pick one out of the first, you're only leaving nine behind. Pick one out of the latter, you are leaving a whopping 51 crayons that you cannot use.

The point of this ever mature and intellectual Crayola hypothetical, is that I need to stick by my philosophy of having less choices and more decisions. It's fine to have two or three events to choose from, but I should limit it to that. The other important thing is that once you have made the decision, let it go. Often people don't even enjoy their choice, because they are wondering about "what might have been," like the man who doesn't taste his soup, because he's wondering if he should've ordered the salad. It's important to think about your decision, make your decision, then stick with your decision.

Oh, and did I mention I got a papercut on my tongue from licking envelopes today? It hurts about as much as you would imagine.

Clean it up :(
Do it right :(
Let it go :(



"Did you ever have to make up your mind? You pick up on one and leave the other one behind It's not often easy and not often kind, Did you ever have to make up your mind?"

Read more: LOVIN SPOONFUL - DID YOU EVER HAVE TO MAKE UP YOUR MIND LYRICS http://www.metrolyrics.com/did-you-ever-have-to-make-up-your-mind-lyrics-lovin-spoonful.html#ixzz26wzso7Kn
Copied from MetroLyrics.com

photo from http://profilespr.wordpress.com/2012/08/13/what-your-cereal-says-about-you/

No comments:

Post a Comment