Thursday, September 27, 2012

It's still a reusable bag, even if I never reuse it.


Do you get double the bad karma if you FINALLY bring your recycled bag to the supermarket, but forget to tell the cashier so he puts your groceries in a plastic bag, which you then have to carry home IN your reusable bag because you don't have a free hand?

Also, I'm on the second to last chapter of The Happiness Project and Rubin does a whole section on "Pollyanna Week"! Not that I thought my idea was entirely original; I just don't want to get sued.

Not to toot my own horn or anything, but I'm no stranger to the energy game. I read Prevention magazine. I watch Dr. Oz at the gym. I might be 50 years old. Still, I know certain rules.

1. Get enough sleep--well, duh.
2. Eat regularly--not a problem, my friend. There are snacks to be had, you just have to know which office to wander nonchalantly into to find them.
3. Drink water--especially if you drink coffee. Coffee has caffeine, which can perk you up, but if you don't drink enough water it will dehydrate you and slow you down. Insert the "The more you know" rainbow star here.
4. Exercise--I'm pretty good about running in the morning. Except when it's cold. Or raining. Or looks like it might rain. Or if I reach the snooze bar in time...

Still, I thought I should research some more strategies. Here are some that I found on the world's most accurate and reliable source--the internet.

1. Change your socks in the middle of the day--Really? I can only sometimes get ONE pair of socks on, and you expect me to remember another? Highly unlikely.

2. Splash some water on your face--Listen, I don't get my make-up done until half-way through my morning, so I'm sure as hell not gonna mess it up an hour later.

3. Avoid the mid-day cocktail--Wait, ya'll are drinking in the middle of the day and didn't tell me??

So, clearly, not all energy tips are plausible for all people. Still, day two of taking the stairs has gone relatively well. To save time, I've allowed myself to take the elevator down (since you don't do a lot of working moving down stairs) and walking back up. Some of my research did make me feel better about my energy levels, though. I read that we as humans are usually wired to feel a little groggy in the morning, then get productive around lunch time, then need a nap in the afternoon, then get a surge of energy in the evening , and then get tired again in the evening. This is way some countries take a "siesta" in the afternoon, and return to work in the early evening, when they can be more productive. The rest of us just have to nap in a back hallway with our head propped up on a folded pipe-and-drape during our lunch break (ah, apprentice years)

The point is, listen to your body. I get hungry at 11 am and 3 pm, so I split my lunch in half and eat them at these times. I am more productive in the morning, so I sometimes wake up early to finish homework. I am exhausted by 2:30 pm so I sometimes skip my run and watch a back episode of America's Next Top Model. Just kidding. It's Say Yes to the Dress.

Clean it up :/
Do it right :)
Let it go :/
Move more :/
Eat right :)
Act energetic :/

"The reason people find it so hard to be happy is that they always see the past better than it was, the present worse than it is, and the future less resolved than it will be”~ Marcel Pagnol

Photo by http://www.whattovisitinmalaga.com/siesta-live-longer/

No comments:

Post a Comment